Tuesday, January 24, 2017

Building Your Own Data Mining Interface

Back in the early 90's the mining company I was working for was being taken over and all my bosses were busy protecting the company. So  I had lots of time to learn Access. In that time I quickly understood the data exploring potential of Access and I created a data mining product called Graf-FX.  It sold a 100 copies and found me my first big client when I setup my own business.

So the other day I was looking through my article archives and I found a cool little sample that builds basic drilldown queries on the fly. I thought I would finish that sample off and write the story that goes with it. Here is some background to the story


Tucked away in the bowels of Access is a powerful graphing tool called MS Graph.  A lot of Office users will be familiar with the graphing capabilities of Excel but very few people seem to have successfully implemented graphs of much use inside Access.  Both products use similar core elements from the Office charting engine.  The difference between the two is that with Excel, you derive your graph data by pointing the graph to cells in a spreadsheet.  This allows people to manually move the cells around until they end up with a graph that they are happy with.  In Access, you have to manipulate queries until you end up the graph that you want.  This is a lot more difficult but the end result is far more versatile as the Access graph will work irrespective of the number of rows of data that you introduce via the query.  The other important feature of Access that you will deploy for data mining is the direct support of Structured Query Language in Visual Basic code. This allows you to easily change the exploration queries on the fly.  Read more on how to setup your first data mining interface here

The sample data link will appear on this page when the article is published in my newsletter.

Here is the download link for this article...






No comments: