Wednesday, September 21, 2016

Handling Multi-Line Text and a couple of notes on phones

I recently had to write a function that split multiple lines of text in a Long Text memo field into separate lines that I then wanted to post into a table.

The best article that I found on the topic was by The Smiley Coder and you can read that article here.

Mr Smiley's article features the VBA Split function. That function works by splitting the input string at every occurrence of a delimiter (like | or , or ; ) and returns the substrings in an array. For example, Split("a:b:c", ":") returns the array {"a", "b", "c"}. You can read the technical workings of the Split VBA function at Microsoft.  Keeping on my recent Excel twist, you can read an article on using Split VBA in Excel here.

If you think this post was only about lines of text, Split allows you to roll your text file handling rather than relying on MS Access to load up your text files.  Good luck with that


What ever you do, aim high...

Phone Titbits. 

I have a Lumia 950 XL Windows phone. It works well and takes good videos and photos. The home screen is excellent as it tells me stuff before I open an app. Its not for everyone due to lack of app support. So I was interested to read that there are other windows phones hitting the streets soon inc Hp Elite X3 (which sold out quickly) and the Alcatel Idol and maybe even a Surface Phone. Read about these here

If Microsoft wants to be really clever, apart from aiming for business phone users, they should make their phones ultra secure, hack proof and privacy friendly. An article on how to remove tracking info from an Android Phone is here.

Apologies for the double post of the previous article, something beyond my control.

Garry from Sydney


No comments: