Friday, June 10, 2016

Web databases - once you are on the wave, it may be hard to get off

Over the years I have had discussions with good Access programmers who have said that they can link to a web database from an Access database. It always sounded a little insecure to me and because my website host didn't offer the same "openness", I just forgot about the process.  This article which discusses a popular free unix database MongodB highlights the issue of open ports. The hack in this instance is simple. One guy produced a search engine that looks into open ports. Another guy uses that search engine to get email address in any database.  I guess the second guy looked for anything with an @ in the word.  So be-warned, don't store native email addresses or passwords in a web database and if your web database sounds too good to easy to get to, at least encrypt your important data.



Huge waves battered Sydney over the weekend, this picture was near Coogee.

No comments: