Monday, April 18, 2016

There is gold in them thar phones

I saw this article about Apple recycling and wow, a million old phones means a lot of gold. That led me to think about silver, the best electrical conductor (releases the least heat).  Why aren't they using silver instead of gold. I found this article and from that article, copper and gold are used more often in electrical applications because copper is less expensive and gold has a much higher corrosion resistance. Because silver tarnishes, it is less desirable for high frequencies because the exterior surface is less conductive."

If you have 1000 phones in your drawer, here is an article on extracting it

That's my thought for the day and in case you are wondering, I was rewarded the Access MVP prize again for the 11th time, you are still stuck with me for another 12 months.   Garry Robinson, Sydney NSW.

No comments: