Monday, November 16, 2015

"Whoa There Nelly" - Office 2016 Install Is A Horse Without Stirrups

The other day I was reading this article on the Office blog and this comment caught my eye.

7. Can I install a subset of the Office 2016 applications?  No, the ability to selectively install individual applications is not available with Office 2016. 

Bonanza (from Wikipedia)
 So being a good little Office Access MVP, I thought maybe there is a story in that , I can get the pictures of what the install process looks like but not actually install the software. As a veteran of installing every version of Office since Bonanza appeared on TV, I knew I could have a look at the install screens and then cancel at the end.  So I downloaded the combined 64 bit/32 bit Office 2016 ISO install package from MSDN.

I clicked Setup.exe and the words "We will be done in a minute" appeared instantly on my screen. I fell off my horse. I climbed back on and checked to see if Access 2013 was still there, the icon was blanked out. "Whoa there" I cried but alas things seemed to be progressing across the screen. I waited about 10 few moments and then Figure 2 appeared on my screen. I walked my horse back to the saddle yard thinking its 2016, its going to be exciting so I will learn to live with it.

Alas my horse had one last trick up its sleeve. I opened Outlook 2016 and there was the message  "Microsoft Exchange 2007 is not supported". Figure 3.

Alas I have now found out that my service provider for emails is running Exchange 2007 which I have always found to be a really good product. I doubt my service provider will change anytime soon so I guess I will have to unistall 2016. My horse bucked up high and ran out to the far end of the paddock. I now have to go and get it back.



Figure 1 - Instant Setup

Figure 2 - Install Finished


Figure 3 - Exchange Server 2007 Error

Summary:  If Office 2016 on your agenda, prepare well, your old versions of Office are going to be wiped off your computer, your Office VBA references will be made into 2016 references and no doubt there will be other inconsistencies and 2007 Exchange Server will definitely stop you in your tracks.


2 comments:

Grover Park George said...

Thanks, Gary. I share your pain. Apparently Microsoft has truly adopted a "one size fits all" mentality and that applies to both Circus Ponies and Budweiser Clydesdales as well. (Sorry about the bad joke, but as a fan of the Cartwright family I had to honor the metaphor.)

It's a lot like saying, if you want to have a cup of coffee with Hoss, you can count on Ben, Little Joe and Adam sitting down at the table with you.

Unknown said...

Yes I experienced the same 2016 install drama. MADDENING.
Joe Anderson