I love discussing how people manage their emails, its clearly a huge topic with just about everyone. Weirdly though its not a topic that seems to warrant training in companies. Sure they have their spam systems and filtering systems but they never seem to suggest a uniform way to approach email.
Techniques that people use are
- never file, just leave them in the inbox
- move emails to other email folders
- move emails to physical folders (this one happens at places where IT departments clean out old emails automatically)
- one person opens every new email and leaves it open, she doesn't leave until she has actioned every one (she gets a lot so its a lot of open windows) and closed them
Here are a list of techniques that are worth thinking about.
To add to that, I would suggest
- making some email rules to automatically move news emails into another folder so they don't clog up the inbox
- making sure that your mobile and tablet can be used to file your emails (move folder)
- turning emails into Tasks with dates and Calendar items so that you act on them at the correct time.