Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Access 2013 - Close to A Revolution according to the Scottsman

In this MS article that I mentioned in a recent post, Access aims to be the "easy to use database tool for the web". For anyone who has ever headed out into this world, you will realise this was always going to be hard. As this is early days in a new tool, the best place to look is the book writers as they can be a little impartial and certainly have to test the product well. So when I saw I post by Andy Couch, author of a few books and way smarter than me, I thought I would share his early insights.

Book Links:  Access 2013 Inside and Out  by Jeff Conrad (Andy is an editor)

Microsoft® Access® 2013 Plain & Simple by Andy Couch
http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145365408.do

Microsoft® Office Professional 2013 Step by Step by a bunch of people http://shop.oreilly.com/product/0790145365163.do

From Andy...

Hi All,

Like most of you skilled Access users, what I really want to see in Office 2013 is a cracking offering from MS for Access. For too long we have been wandering in the wilderness. All of you have wanted a browser based experience, and it has not come to pass. Until now.
I have said this so many times is we needed a solid platform for the internet before we added the WOW factors. After working with the beta and now the live version of 2013, I think it is difficult to dispute that we now have the platform.

I have just spent all of today going though one of Jeff Conrads Chapters on constructing views (which is basically a form in the browser). What Jeff has show me is that these views go much further than you would imagine in an online programming world. This excitement is something that I haven't experienced for a 15 years. When I was a Paradox Developer and got my hands on Access 2.0, and I saw just how great that product was. Then with Access 97 when OLE Automation came of age, I thought wow. When the Ribbon came along I thought well it is nice, but not a revolution. Other than that, Access has just been good old Access.

Now I have pleasantly had my third Access Revelation. The work that has gone into the View Design Tool is just awesome. Not only have the Team managed to preserve so much of the standard productivity of good old Access, but they have added features that actually make the UI surpass Desktop Access!

For a simple example, when you drag and drop a field onto a form, the design surface moves all the other controls out of the way to make space for when you drop down or move an existing control. But that is just one of a number of very sexy new features. Now we wait while Microsoft posts some worthwhile examples, great help guides and videos and irons out the kinks in Office 365 to see if these revelations actually become a revolution. In the meantime, why not pre-order one of these books to whet your appetite"

Andy Couch


1 comment:

larry.brown.ga said...

Thanks for the pointers to some likely good reading on Access 2013; really timely for us. We're a mid- to small-sized business that's still running our home-made enterprise CRM, with its front-end 60% still in Access 97, the other 40% of the front in Access 2010, and both parts still writing to a bunch of Access 97 back ends. Nevertheless, we have an affection for MS Access. We'd love to jump straight to Access 2013 but have not been seeing as much positive about it as we'd wanted to see, so we're eager to buy the books you cited. And as always, we really appreciate your vb123 emails.