Saturday, August 13, 2011

Access on a File Server - Whats the performance story

In 2002 one of the readers asked the Smart Access newsletter editor, Mike Gunderloy the following question..

 I’ve always been under the impression that when you place an Access MDB on a server and then run a query against a table, all the processing is still done at the client PC. In other words, if I query a 100-record table to get one record, all 100 records go across the LAN, and then the SQL is processed by Jet on my machine. This was always explained to me as a drawback of Access being a file-based database product. I’m wondering if this is still true. If not, was this correct in the past? Can you give me a definitive answer?  Mike answers the question here in this Smart Access pdf article

No comments: